The world’s first artificial womb facility has been conceived and may soon be built and it will give birth to a baby by pushing a button.
Named EctoLife, this non-natural baby facility allows one to choose a baby’s characteristics from a menu.
Projected to produce 30,000 babies a year, is said to be based on more than fifty years of groundbreaking scientific research.
The concept is the brainchild of Berlin-based Hashem Al-Ghaili, a biotechnologist and science communicator.
According to the biotechnologist, the facility would allow infertile couples to conceive a baby and become the true biological parents of their own offspring. EctoLife is powered entirely by renewable energy, he added.
- *Allows one to genetically engineer the embryo before implanting itinto the artificial womb;
- Features such as eye and hair color, height, and intelligence can be chosen;
- Inherited genetic diseases can be avoided;
- Designed to alleviate human suffering and reduce the chances of C-sections;
- Offers a solution for women who had their uterus surgically removed due to cancer or other complications;
- Help countries that are suffering from severe population decline, like Japan, Bulgaria, South Korea, etc.
- Allows baby to develop in an infection-free environment.
Inside the facility
It features 75 highly equipped labs, with each able to accommodate up to 400 growth pods or artificial wombs.
Every pod is designed to replicate the exact conditions that exist inside the mother’s uterus.
The pods are equipped with a screen that displays real-time data on the developmental progress of the baby. The data can also be viewed via a phone app.
The artificial intelligence-based system being used in this concept monitors the physical features of the baby and reports any potential genetic abnormalities.
After discharging the amniotic fluid from the artificial womb, one can easily remove the baby from the growth pod.
The birth process is done with a push of a button.